Test Data Management
The successful outcome of any business testing is driven by the ability and availability of quality as-close-as-real “test data”. Test data assumes key importance to ensure all possible business flows are validated and verified. With inaccurate & inadequate data comes poor testing, results you can’t trust and a whole lot of wasted time, money and effort. Managing test data is highly challenging due to data sensitivity, complex infrastructure, heterogeneous data sources and of course, limited availability. Test Data Management (TDM), thus, is fundamental to the success of your data strategy & overall testing strategy.
At Gallop, we have implemented robust test data management practices for complex enterprise platforms. With over 200 experts in the Data Governance practice, Gallop has supported organizations in the implementation of solutions for centralized data governance, automated data management, data analysis & identification and high availability of test data. In addition, Gallop has developed custom accelerators to aid in synthetic test data generation, test data optimization and Test harnesses for a wide variety of platforms. The Data Governance experts comprising of Certified DBA’s, SQL & Data Modeling bring in rich experience in tools such as IBM Optim, GridTools, DataMaker, QuerySurge etc.
With Gallop’s extensive expertise, you could Improve test effectiveness by using accurate test data, Institutionalize test data management process, Implement test data creation and simulation, Automate test data management & Protect data sensitivity.
Key Challenges of Test Data Management
A TDM strategy that does not cover the entire scenario, or is improper and has insufficient test data, faces severe challenges from an end user perspective. Some of the key challenges include:
- Lack of processes to dispose of the test data when not needed
- Volume of data requirements for validating the business processes
- Managing the multiple sources and formats of data as required for testing
- Managing the changes required to share data that may affect multiple projects
- Availability of the test data range required for end-to-end testing and coverage for all possible combinations
- Techniques to handle PII related data for being compliant with regulatory bodies such as HIPAA, PCI, GLBA, SOX, etc.
Test Data Management Approach
An effective test data management approach can address most of the challenges mentioned above. Gallop introduces a solid TDM strategy which includes the following critical components:
- In-depth Identification of Requirements: Harness Gallop’s deep industry knowledge in broad identification of test data requirements. These requirements can then be utilized to identify the source, volume, complexities, data subset policies, and data synthesis needs.
- Holistic TDM Processes: Publish clearly defined data management workflows, policies, and procedures for the creation, load, and protection of test data. Define metrics to measure data health in each environment and use reduced volumes of production data when a full load is not needed.
- Effective TDM Techniques: Use data subsets which contribute to effective testing as it enables usage of real-life data sets only on a smaller scale. Use data masking, NULL’ing out, substitution, or encryption techniques to maintain data security by protecting sensitive data.
- Tools & IP: Gallop’s Test Data Generator tool to reduce the manual process of creating test data and minimise the chance of errors. Reuse subset criteria and masking policies on multiple and different sources. Identify the table relationships and the sensitive data.
- Dedicated TDM Team: Dedicated resources to manage and accommodate every project’s test data needs. Data Governance Centre of Excellence to support with the required tools, resources, and expertise.
Test Data Management Services
Gallop’s TDM services are designed to meet and satisfy all test data demands of enterprises and Independent Software Vendors (ISV’s) for complex IT deployments. The key services offered by the Gallop Data Governance practice include:
- Data Profiling & Analysis – Identifying & modelling of complex data simulations and business process coverage
- Data Governance – Processes & Guidelines for policy, controls, provisioning & techniques
- Data Provisioning – Data refresh, masking, sub setting, obfuscation & retrieval procedures
- Data Generation – Automated set up/tear down of synthetic data using off the shelf tools and Gallop Test Data Generator
- Data Environment Management – Deployment & Management of data sources
- Data Privacy – Employment of techniques like NULL’ing, Substitution, Shuffling, Number Variance, Gibberish & Encryption/Decryption
Benefits of Test Data Management Services
There are multiple benefits to be had from having an established and implemented test data management process.
TDM makes available voluminous, on-demand, fit-for-purpose, real test data, that further helps in the coordination and management of test data. An intelligent data sub-setting system leads to an optimized infrastructure, storage costs, and TCO, and also in implementing an effective risk mitigation system. TDM also acts as a centralized tool for data request and distribution, that leads to quicker data provisioning. With an automated test data process, and cloned data subsets resulting in a quicker test data set up, the test cycle time is also reduced.
Additionally, TDM also leads to an Improved:
- Test coverage due to improved test data quality
- Testing effectiveness with accurate data
- Data privacy through data masking techniques
- Risk mitigation through reduced data exposure
- Compliance with regulatory requirements & guidelines such as Basel, PCI, SOX, SEPA, and Solvency
Test Data Management Thought Leadership
Gallop is a thought leader in the test data management domain and publishes regular Blogs and White Papers to share the latest trends and best practices.
Our Partnerships & Alliances
Gallop has partnered with various Test Data Management tool vendors which helps our clients the option to choose the right tool based on their requirement and budget.
BUSINESSES WHO RELY ON GALLOP’S Test Data Management SERVICES
The Gallop Assurance
The best way to ensure that your users get the best test data management experience is to provide them the benefits of a proven methodology. We understand that every requirement is unique and thus adapt our testing methodology based on the needs of our clients.
Our Centralized test data management services make available voluminous, on-demand, fit-for-purpose, and real test data that leads to quicker data provisioning, and also helps mitigate risks.
Looking to get the best in terms of test data management? Contact Us Today.
“TDM Is Essential To Achieving Quality At Speed For Agile, DevOps, And Continuous Delivery” ~ Forrester